Fischland Church

Fischland Church as it stands today was consecrated on 14 September 1873. The first church at this location is reported to have been built between 1166 and 1190. This wooden structure stood until 1385 when it was replaced by a new church associated with the Poor Clare monastery in Ribnitz. In 1869, the church was demolished and rebuilt.

The hilltop site of Wustrow’s church was a holy place long before Christianity came to Mecklenburg. The Wendish god Svantevit was worshipped here. Legend has it that the grey horse of Svantevit kicked up the hilltop with its hooves in one night. Excavations demonstrated that the mound was artificially piled up on otherwise flat land. The hilltop served as a churchyard until 1830 when a new cemetery was established on the northern edge of the village.

Fischland Church is built in a neo-Gothic style with a cross-shaped floor plan.

Christian faith in this parish has long been influenced by the seafaring tradition of its residents. Three ship models are prominently displayed in the church: the Deo Gloria (north gallery), the Hoffnung (nave) and the Cristiana (south gallery) are donations from Wustrow seafarers who commissioned models of their own ships after retirement to express thanks to God for bringing them home safely. Even to this day, many seafarers and their families live in Wustrow.

The oldest object of the church is a massive Gothic baptismal font made of French limestone dating from the Middle Ages.

In 1970, a new organ was installed by Jehmlich Orgelbau Dresden. This organ has two manuals and a pedal. There are 986 pipes in the thirteen registers. This instrument plays a leading role in many of the summertime concerts hosted in the church.

The bell tower has three bells and provides a wonderful view across the bodden, the Fischland peninsula and the Baltic Sea. The viewing platform is 18 metres above ground level. From this vantage point, it‘s easy to understand the name of the village: Swante wosdrowe - place on the holy island. Until the end of the 14th century, Wustrow was an island separated from the mainland by two arms of the Recknitz. The now dry course of the southern river arm can still be seen from the church tower. The tower also serves as a important navigation mark, which explains why the surrounding villages were prohibited from building church towers.

In 2016, the church was made wheelchair accessible. A circular path provides the opportunity to view of the church from all sides. Church services are held throughout the year and the church is heated in winter. The parish invites visitors and residents to services on Sundays and holidays at 10:15 am.

Opening hours:

Opening hours can be changed at short notice. The tower remains closed during storms and rain.

April - June:
Mon to Sat: 11.00 am - 5.00 p.m.,
Sun 11.30 a.m. - 5.00 p.m. tower tour

July - September:
Tue to Sat: 11.00 a.m. - 3.00 p.m. Open church and tower.

Tue to Sat 11.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m. tower tour

Tue to Sun 11.00 a.m. - 4.00 p.m. tower tour
Sundays 10.15 a.m. service

This site uses cookies.

To make this website run properly and to improve your experience, we use cookies. For more detailed information, please check our Cookie Policy.

  • Necessary cookies enable core functionality. The website cannot function properly without these cookies, and can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.